Inside Bears rookie QB Tyson Bagents improbable journey Hes different than anybody Ive ever coached

Odpovědět
ymakerpi8d

Inside Bears rookie QB Tyson Bagents improbable journey Hes different than anybody Ive ever coached

Příspěvek od ymakerpi8d » 21 bře 2024 08:58

Almost exactly a year after phenom threw his first pa s, the league was properly introduced Sunday to its next great underdog story in . The rookie quarterback made waves when he won the ' backup job despite going undrafted out of Division II Shepherd University. But in Week 7, replacing the injured , he took it further, becoming the first D-II QB to make an NFL start in 13 years, and the first Chicago QB to win his starting debut in almost two decades.Fresh off a 30-12 win against the in which he controlled the ball and used his legs to help the Bears run all over Las Vegas, Bagent is far more accomplished than many may realize. He is one of the most prolific QBs in history, owning the NCAA's all-time record for career touchdown pa ses (159). He went 26-4 in his final two years at Shepherd after guiding back-to-back state championships in high school. But his perceived lack of elite competition helped lead to a draft-day omi sion.With Fields recovering from an i sue with his throwing hand, the 23-year-old Bagent is in line for additional opportunities as the Bears' signal-caller, with games against the , and on deck before an extended break ahead of Week 11. And while team bra s Rodney Miller Jr. Jersey is now -- a sistant general manager Ian Cunningham noted this summer "he has this confidence about him" -- Bagent's position coach from his final year at Shepherd insists this is just the beginning.Tyler Haines is now the head coach at Catawba College in North Carolina, but he spent 2022 as Shepherd's offensive coordinator and QBs coach, overseeing Bagent's senior season in which the quarterback led D-II with 400 pa s completions. He also served as Shepherd's pro liaison, communicating with scouts from all 32 in the lead-up to the 2023 draft. In this exclusive conversation with CBS Sports, he sheds some light on what makes Bagent tick, and why he's bound for more stardom: CBS Sports: What convinced you during your time together that Tyson Bagent was destined for an NFL emergence?Haines: I talked to every single scout his senior year, and I tried to explain to every NFL team what makes Tyson Tyson. I'll say this: He's different. He's different than anybody I've ever coached, on a whole lot of levels. He's the ultra-competitor, no matter what he does, whether it's Cro sFit or rock-paper-sci sors or walking on his hands -- I've seen him walk on his hands almost 100 yards. Everything's a big deal to Tyson.This guy self-prepared maybe 90% of his meals as a college kid. I remember, off Anthony Lawrence II Jersey the Potomac River near West Virginia, a couple of the players at Shepherd created sort of a cold tub in an actual stream, and he'd go in it every day. We're talking November, December, and he's in there trying to take care of his body. Other guys were playing video games, going on dates and he's self-preparing meals and sitting in a stream. With all his accomplishments, how did Bagent go undrafted? And surely he is motivated by the way Sam Waardenburg Jersey his career began?Haines: He comes from what you'd call the middle of nowhere, West Virginia (a small town named Martinsburg). He's always been out to prove people wrong. Everybody's always told him he's not an NFL quarterback. He carries that proudly. I remember, his senior year, we were down 21-14 at the half to Kutztown, a good team, and we came back to win; he finished with 456 yards and four touchdowns. What I saw from the sidelines was, everybody was into it because Tyson was into it.It just so happened the Chicago Bears were at that game. As for why he wasn't drafted, I think it's hard to put your name on a guy if it's a D-II player, because if you do that and it doesn't work out, you might lose your job. The Bears took a chance on him, and they're gonna be the heroes because of it. Every team came out during his senior year -- regional scouts, head scouts, every team was represented. The Bears were one of five that came almost every other week, so it didn't shock me when they called. It's become common for scouts or analysts to loosely compare mobile young QBs to elite stars like , illogical as that may be. But are there NFL comparisons you made to scouts, or can make today?Haines: He has 'it.' I'm watching his first start against the Raiders, and I just feel the team, the stadium, embracing him, because how can you not? He had 50-some odd friends and family there. And he doesn't like to paint himself into a box; Tyson is Tyson. But me personally, what I see is elite feet. His lower half is perfect. I compare his lower half to or in terms of just footwork. I think he's underrated as an athlete, too. What goes under-noticed is his scrambling ability. He' Andre Johnson Jersey s 6-3, 213, but he can move. One of the things he's worked on is arm-angle adjustments. We had a lot of quick-game, quick throws at Shepherd. He's worked on that so he can deliver with the sidearm or the over-the-top motion.Bagent he believes he was predestined for his rise, crediting faith -- and his father's unwavering belief -- for his climb. How did that manifest in your time together? Haines: You'll notice he's got a lot of tattoos -- a sleeve on his left arm. Most of them, if not all of them, are faith-based. He's a faithful Christian churchgoer, and that helps make him who he is. Our head coach, Ernie McCook, went to the same church. He even allowed Tyson to mi s some meetings on Sundays if Tyson needed to get to church, or it went long. Sometimes it goes unnoticed, because Chris Lykes Jersey when you watch him, he is fiery, he spikes the ball, you see him yelling. But he's a man of faith.It's unclear what the future holds in Chicago. The Bears could hold early picks in the 2024 draft and pursue a QB. They have a former first-rounder in Justin Fields. At any rate, where do you see Bagent three or five years down the road?Haines: I will tell you what I told every scout. No scout thought he'd be a starting quarterback the following year. But he's going to be one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL in the years to come. He just is. It takes work, but I don't think it's that farfetched, three to five years down the road, because of who he is. That may sound farfetched, but I know which side I'm on.

xanhast

Re: Inside Bears rookie QB Tyson Bagents improbable journey Hes different than anybody Ive ever coached

Příspěvek od xanhast » 02 dub 2024 17:37

Odpovědět